Sunday, January 12, 2014

Anybody out there?

Alright, so check it y’all- we were blessed with the opportunity of going to a “resort” in Banfora over the weekend. We piled into a large van and embarked on an incredible journey, which served as a great opportunity for our team to grow closer together. The car ride is a rough 7 hour trip, and although we had minimal technology, we still managed to pass the time pretty well. We played some travel games and made up some of our own games which served us nicely. When we finally got to Banfora, the first thing many of us did was to find the pool and go swimming. As you probably know, Africa is incredibly hot, so we thought the pool would be a nice way to relax and unwind in luxury. We have never been so wrong in our lives. As we jumped into the crystal colored water, some of us wanted to get out pretty quickly, as the water was just above freezing temperatures. After we had exited the pool, we went over to our dinner. Dinner was nice and we had a great time bonding and joking over our meals. I retired to the hut I had to myself and watched kick boxing and football well into the night. I can’t be entirely sure what the rest of the team did that night, but kick boxing and football kept me busy and happy. The next day we woke up and went to our breakfast, and we learned to eat fast the hard way. If any food was on a plate for more than several minutes, flies would cover it pretty quickly. We went out on a hike to a beautiful waterfall, which we climbed to the top of and swam in some smaller waterfalls. It was a nice time to sit back and reflect on the trip thus far, and I found a nice, quiet spot under the waterfall to sit at. On the hike back down, some of us bought some souvenirs and ventured back to our resort. Most of us spent some time on the internet and I got to skype with my family a little. (By the way, if you’re reading this, HI MOM  ). After a little, most of us went out to a lake and tried to look for hippos with no success. Urged by my teammates (or by my own accord) I began making what I thought were hippo sounds and tried to draw them out. As you may have suspected, this failed pretty badly and I got made fun of. We retired back to our rooms afterwards and this morning we left back for Yako. The bumps on the road caused Kirsten to bang her head on the ceiling of the car and caused me a great deal of pain elsewhere, but we are safe and sound. If you made it this far into my rambling, thank you!! If you would prefer someone else to write the next blog, please comment your feelings for this change. In all seriousness, thanks for your prayers and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment